Mesmerale's D&D Discussion!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mesmerale's D&D Discussion!

Seems self explanatory to me.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Official MapTool Thread

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Official MapTool Thread Empty The Official MapTool Thread Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:10 pm

Atreus

Okay, MapTools!

For starters, setting up MapTools on your first run.

When you've downloaded the latest file from the website, you'll have a .zip file. Extract that into a new folder using whatever you wish (windows' built-in extractor works great).

you'll get a bunch of meaningless files. just click on MapToolLauncher.exe for now.

you'll get the launcher settings window on your first run. you can read more into it in the .pdf provided, but basically you can set the minimum and maximum megabytes of RAM maptools will use. good rule of thumb, if you're not running any games or anything, set the max ram to 1/4 to 1/3 of your current RAM, with a max maximum value of 1536. i set mine to 1024 becuase i have 4 gigs of ram. the min value if fine at 64 unless you have a really crappy system. stack size you can ignore, it's useless to change unless we add macros to everything.

you can uncheck "show at startup" if you like. wait a minute for maptool to initialize on first run, allow it through your firewall, aaaand... there you go.

first thing you wanna do on first run only is download some repositories.

click on File -> Add Resource To Library...

select the bottom icon (black sword, red background). hold shift, click on the top and bottom entries, and release shift to select all of the repositories. Pres 'Install >>' to install them all. This is a little over 100mb worth of data.

wait a bit while it downloads. *thumbtwiddle* when the popup window goes await, wait a couple minutes, other ones should pop up. click "OK" to accept the licenses on each of the repos, aaand you should be good.

you'll now see new resources in your resources library in the top left.

from here, you'll wanna connect to the server. if need be, i can explain how to set up a server yourself, but unless you wanna mess with firewalls and routers and ports, leave the server to me.

click File -> Connect to Server...

type in your username. that can be your name, online alias, or character name. doesn't matter as you will see later.

the server password... let's make it something simple. "twofish" without the quotes, let's say.

select your role. now, unless you're editing the map, you wanna be a Player. however, on this first run through where i'll show you guys stuff, just connect as GM.

Click on Direct. the IP address is, right now: 108.15.31.32

and the port will be (when i'm hosting, at least): 54321

aaand click connect. this SHOULD work. i'll see you guys there Very Happy

that's it for the first post. i might put up simple tutorials later.

2The Official MapTool Thread Empty Re: The Official MapTool Thread Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:30 pm

CriticalQuit

I'm in.

http://criticalquit.deviantart.com

3The Official MapTool Thread Empty it's a me matthew Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:13 pm

matts-grey-zone

I need to clear some stuff off my computer if this is going to work

my computer is all most full

4The Official MapTool Thread Empty Re: The Official MapTool Thread Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:16 pm

Atreus

it should take only a couple hundred megabytes at max. aim for a gigabyte, just to be sure.

5The Official MapTool Thread Empty it's a me matthew Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:35 pm

matts-grey-zone

I have 1 or 2 ram

6The Official MapTool Thread Empty Re: The Official MapTool Thread Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:00 pm

CriticalQuit

He means space, not ram.

7The Official MapTool Thread Empty it's a me matthew Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:53 pm

matts-grey-zone

do I need to down load any thing else????

8The Official MapTool Thread Empty Re: The Official MapTool Thread Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Atreus

nope, just the program and the repositories. dropbox we can deal with later.

9The Official MapTool Thread Empty Re: The Official MapTool Thread Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:00 pm

Atreus

I'll put up the server again tonight at ~ 8pm, and try to keep it up as much as I can until we start. I can't promise I'll help people with anything as I have a ton of homework.

The second time you join the server, all you have to do is connect.

10The Official MapTool Thread Empty it's a me matthew Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:22 pm

matts-grey-zone

half a hour till its time to connect

11The Official MapTool Thread Empty Re: The Official MapTool Thread Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:12 pm

Atreus

yup, bring it up now.

12The Official MapTool Thread Empty the game setting Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:39 pm

matts-grey-zone

what is it called

13The Official MapTool Thread Empty Re: The Official MapTool Thread Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:46 pm

CriticalQuit

Click the little tab titled "Direct" and enter the IP address and port that are listed above, matt.

14The Official MapTool Thread Empty it's a me matthew Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:01 pm

matts-grey-zone

it keeps give me a sign saying I can't log one because of the password, but I'm typing in twofish

15The Official MapTool Thread Empty Re: The Official MapTool Thread Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:03 pm

Atreus

twofish is the GM password

not the server password

16The Official MapTool Thread Empty Re: The Official MapTool Thread Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:08 pm

CriticalQuit

Yeah, log in as a GM for now.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum